Sunday, October 03, 2010

bulbs

i have been excited (& intimidated for some reason) to explore the world of bulbs! tulips! dahlias! i was never really interested in hyacinths or daffodils (until i saw THESE), but i did discover some other little things i had never heard of that caught my eye!.

back when it was tulip season i got all jazzed up and started a wish list here. over the past few weeks i realized that i was actually time to order some & get them in the ground! so i filled up my shopping cart & was a little shocked all the things i wanted added up to about $100 & where were they all going to to go!?! and then i got distracted.

last week i decided i needed to look again. it's REALLY time now! but now everything on the website is listed as "call for availability". hmpf! i didn't really want to deal with calling. also i didn't want to hear that one (or any) of the items on my list was sold out & i was out of luck.

so i decided that i would just go to the farmers market and buy some bulbs from the cute little old flower guy with the funny accent. i ended up with a variety pack of tulips, a pack of reddish orange tulips, some white daffys with orange centers (kind of like the professor einstein ones i had my eye on), an interesting looking allium and he had some of the melegris!!!

everyone is in the ground now & i am exited to see what comes up! i still have a bucket full of bulbs in dirt that i dug up for various places around the yard from previous owners. i will have to figure out where they are going to go. they are mostly these and these, and a few of these from my mom.

the only thing i am sad not to have is some of these, i don't know what it is about them, they aren't that different from the hispanica blue's, but there is just something about them that feels elegant & fancy.

1 comment:

Blackbird Experience said...

I can't wait to see your pictures in the spring!! I never much cared about daffodils either, but they are all over the place here in spring, and Dan says they remind him of his birthday because when he was a kid they were first coming out around then. The meleagris looks amazing! I think I might have spied something like that here once. I remember it only because I went to get a closer look, thinking it looked like purple snakeskin!

haven't been very good at keeping my blog going. Got my eye on a new start in November...